The Rudy’s I-35 Cup is a multifaceted event combining a charity fundraising tournament called The Rivalry Before the Match, and a Ryder Cup format competition between the top Austin and San Antonio players, called the Rudy’s I-35 Cup.
The fundraising event is an event in which 3 person teams from Austin play a match play scramble event against 3 person teams from San Antonio. The winning city is awarded the Community Cup. The funds raised go to Africa New Life, the First Tee of Greater San Antonio and the First Tee of Greater Austin.
The competitive event is made up of golfers who compete throughout the calendar year in local events within their respective cities. Each tournament allows a player to accumulate points towards making the 14 man team representing their city. At the conclusion of the golf season (typically late October or early November) the 14 man teams from Austin and San Antonio compete in a 2 day Ryder Cup style format event.
The Rivalry Before The Match
Any individual is eligible to play in The Rivalry Before the Match event. Details of the event can be found here.
The Rudy’s Cup
To become eligible for the Rudy’s Cup team representing Austin, an individual must meet the following qualifications:
1. The player must be at least 25 years old.
2. The player must live in Travis County or a surrounding county.
3. The player must conform to the USGA rules for amateur status.
The Austin team captain is selected each year by the Austin Amateur Golf committee members. The captain picks their assistant captain(s). Austin team players are selected based on eligibility rules above and the following criteria:
- Top 8 Mid-Amateurs and top 2 Seniors from the AAG rankings.
- 3 Mid-Amateur Captain’s picks and 1 Senior pick.
- If any player in the top 8 Mid-Amateur point list cannot participate, their spot will roll to a Captain’s pick.
- If either of the Top 2 Seniors cannot play then that spot would roll to the 3rd Senior on the points list. If the 3rd Senior cannot play, that spot will roll to a Captains pick.
- To be eligible for a Captain’s pick, a player must meet at least one of the following criteria: